YOU MUST BE LOGGED IN TO ENTER
EVISU is the first true collectible denim brand in the world, introducing casual denim wearers across the globe to connoisseur-quality Japanese selvedge denim and custom distressing. EVISU plays a pivotal role in the history of denim, the brand that started the worldwide “Replica Movement” which in turn, birthed the premium denim category we know today.
Despite phenomenal growth and global success, EVISU remains true to its roots with a fanatical devolution to Quality and Authenticity, while maintaining two other vital ingredients of the EVISU magic potion: Humor and Irreverence.
In 1991, Yamane Hidehiko founded EVISU in Osaka, Japan. Yamane was trained as a tailor but his love for vintage jeans and his disappointment with the mass-produced modern version led him firstly to the vintage clothing import business and then, revolutionarily, to start putting together the elements required to reproduce vintage-style jeans. This needed the gathering together of all the various bits of machinery, none of which had been produced for the last 40 years, which are required to make authentic vintage jeans. The initial production line allowed about 14 pairs of jeans a day to be produced and each of them was lovingly hand-painted with the now famous seagull logo by Yamane himself.
EVISU was named after the Japanese god of prosperity EBISU, who often portrayed donning a Japanese courtier’s hat and wearing a huntsman outfit, holding a fishing rod in his right hand and a bream in his left, now playfully portrayed on the jeans patch. This name was aptly chosen, since it represents two of YAMANE’s favourite things: fishing and money (the others being beer, women and golf - in no particular order).
Despite its phenomenal growth, EVISU’s relentless pursuit of productions of the highest quality has become a deeply rooted brand’s mission, consolidating EVISU’s position as a classic in the history of denim wear.
- Your task is to create a design on an A2 canvas expressing the theme of 'Make The Rules'. You do not need to include the words in your piece, but rather demonstrate your understanding of the phrase while showcasing your own style.
- It can be portrait or landscape
- The competition is open to all creative disciplines that can be displayed on the Don't Panic Poster and on gallery walls - photography, graphic design, illustration, collage - anything you can think of!
- If you're considering incorporating the Evisu logo in your design, be creative - if you are merely adding it to the corner please leave it off - it will likely be added at a later date should you be chosen to exhibit and/or win
- Please also do not add the Don't Panic logo
- For purposes of viewing in the our gallery, your entry needs to be formatted into a JPG or PNG format, RGB, resolution: 72dpi, max filesize: 1MB
- For optimal viewing in the gallery, please resize your image to 610 pixels width
- Please make sure your name, daytime phone number and email address are added to your profile on dontpaniconline.com - you can edit your profile at any time but please make sure this information is present before the competition ends
- If your entry is chosen as the winner, you will be contacted to send over the hi-res (300 dpi) version of it - so be prepared to have this quality version ready if you are chosen
The top 20 qualifying entries will be exhibited at the EVISU 20th Anniversary Make the Rules Exhibition Party on 12 December 2011
EVISU’s 20 favourite entries will be exhibited at EVISU 20th Anniversary Make the Rules Exhibition Party
on 12 December 2011 in London. These 20 finalists will be invited to the party, where celebrities, socialites, media, press and VIPs will also be attending.
The exhibition will be held at a gallery in East London, with live DJs, Sushi Bar and hand painting artists for EVISU jeans.
- The overall winner will have their artwork taken on a tour with EVISU to the Far East during 2012 as part of their 20th anniversary celebrations
- Their artwork will feature on the Don't Panic Poster
- PLUS £500 worth of Evisu merchandise
This November, premium denim brand EVISU is teaming up with world-renowned artists, denim collectors, fans and friends to host a stream of celebratory EVISU 20th Anniversary Make the Rules party extravaganzas globally.
EVISU is hosting the 20th Anniversary Make the Rules Exhibition Party in the infamous East End of London, Shoreditch, to celebrate its 20 year journey of glory within the denim world.
To get you involved with their 20th anniversary, EVISU is looking for artists to design a piece of artwork that shares the understanding of what it means to 'Make the Rules'. They invite you to express the theme and demonstrate your understanding of the phrase through your own style.
The 20 top-rated pieces from all of the entries will be showcased at the EVISU 20th Anniversary - Make the Rules Exhibition Party on the 8 December 2011. An overall winner will also be chosen.
As the winner of this competition, your artwork will be showcased as a Don't Panic Poster. 80,000 copies of your design will be printed and distributed throughout the UK in December. In addition to this, you will receive £500 worth of EVISU merchandise and your work will be taken on tour to the Far East together with the 19 runners up.
The competition will open on the 4th of November 2011 and end at midnight GMT on the 4th December 2011. All entries can be shared through social networks to gain votes.