In Haruki Murakami’s 1Q84, Tengo and Aomame find themselves struggling against dark forces in a strange parallel world. Tokyo seems familiar at first, but two moons hang in the sky and incredible events seem to conspire against them.
To celebrate the paperback edition of 1Q84 and the striking new look of past Murakami favourites such as Norwegian Wood and Kafka on the Shore, Vintage and Don’t Panic are issuing a challenge to photographers.
Your task is to use photography to represent your idea of a parallel world. Photographs can be altered using design programs such as Adobe Photoshop. The form your parallel world takes is completely up to you – you may wish to present a world where there are two moons or where indoors and outdoors are reversed!
One winner, as chosen by Vintage, will receive a MacBook Air and have their design featured on the Don't Panic Poster. The winner and three runners up will also each receive a set of Murakami’s backlist.
- Entries accepted from UK and Ireland residents only
- A maximum of one entry can be submitted per Don't Panic Online member
- All entries must include a photographic element
- Artwork dimensions: 420 x 420 mm
- For purposes of voting and pre-viewing in the web gallery - Resolution: 72dpi. Max file size: 1MB. Acceptable file extensions: JPG, PNG, GIF
- For optimal viewing in the gallery, please resize your image to 610 pixels width
- If your entry is chosen as the winner, you will be contacted to send over the hi-res (300 dpi) version of it. So be prepared to have this quality version ready if you are chosen
- In keeping with the moon design on 1Q84’s cover, the winning entry will be presented within a circular frame. Please take this in to consideration when submitting your entry.
- Once submitted, there is no way to modify your entry. Please make sure you upload the correct file!
The top 20 entries by vote will be shortlisted before the winning design is chosen by Vintage.
Terms and conditions
By entering this competition, you are granting Don’t Panic and Vintage reproduction rights to use your artwork for the promotion of 1Q84.