This new release, available in distinct versions in both CD and vinyl formats, is the brainchild of John Morales, one-half of the feted M+M Mix team. Morales still holds his position as one of the most sought-after DJs and remixers around. He has dedicated his life to the dancefloor for the last four decades, having mixed, remixed and produced records for most of the artists in this collection, as well as such global stars as Aretha Franklin, the Rolling Stones, Marvin Gaye, Spandau Ballet, Miami Sound Machine, and more.
Focussing on classics from the late 1970s and 1980s roster of the inimitable Motown movement, Club Motown is a life-affirming selection of classics and hidden gems in their full extended 12” glory - many of which have been unavailable since their original release – plus five fresh, unreleased Morales mixes.
This collection is an aural delight, as these masterpieces have been given a deft re-mastering at Abbey Road Studios - ensuring the music sounds better than ever. The crystal-clear, full-frequency mixes are full of space, with the perfect balance of fat bass, warm mids and pristine-bright top end that puts the tinny, overdriven digital pop of today to shame.
Club Motown represents a golden era when club music synergised music genres in harmony with inspirational results. This was a period when pop was credible, containing elements of soul, boogie, funk and disco. It was genuine, heartfelt and delivered with musicianship. Plus most - importantly - it was joyous, hook-filled and catchy as hell.
Among the great tracks on Club Motown, the dubbed-out brass of ‘Standing On The Top’ features the dream team of both Rick James and the Temptations, with a trumpet solo nodding to the latter’s ‘Papa Was A Rolling Stone’. Rick, on his own, delivers in its full extended 12” magnificence the twisted genius of ‘Super Freak’, sounding sounds more freaky than ever.
“Without question John Morales is one of the top five mixers in dance history. “In music, particularly in underground music, the word ‘legend’ is thrown around to the point where it loses all meaning. What is a legend? It's someone who broke the mold - someone whose sounds, techniques, even his style changed things forever. It's a pioneer that everyone who followed after emulated, whether consciously or not. In dance music, the person you're talking about is John Morales.” – Terry Matthew of 5 Magazine, the influential house magazine from Chicago.
John Morales presents Club Motown is preceded by John Morales Presents: Motown Divas, a double pack 12” vinyl, which features highly-coveted previously unreleased mixes from Teena Marie and Tata Vega. The Teena Marie track was formerly released in edited form on a promotional flexidisc, which generated a huge amount of excitement within the Motown and dance community. There will also be a limited signed run of the vinyl package, which can be pre-ordered here. The CD can be pre-ordered here.
1. Dennis Edwards featuring Siedah Garrett - Don’t Look any Further (12 Inch Remix)
2. Michael Lovesmith - Ain't Nothing Like It (Extended M+M mix)
3. Mary Jane Girls - In My House
4. The Temptations ft Rick James - Standing On The Top (Long LP version)
5. Lionel Richie - All Night Long (All Night) (12” Version)
6. VANITY - Under The Influence (M+M Mid-Day Mix)
7. Commodores - Night Shift (M+M Club Mix)
8. Debarge - Rhythm Of The Night (Long M+M Version)
9. Phyllis St James - Candlelight Afternoon
10. Bobby Nunn - Don't Knock It (Until You Try It)
11. Jermaine Jackson - Let's Get Serious (Extended Version)
1. The Temptations - Treat Her Like a Lady (M+M Club Mix)
2. Rockwell - Somebody's Watching Me (Extended Version)
3. Rick James – Super Freak (12” Mix)
4. Stacy Lattisaw - Jump Into My Life (Dance Mix)
Bonus Tracks: Previously Unreleased John Morales M+M Mix's:
5. Teena Marie - I Need Your Loving (John Morales M+M CD Mix)
6. Val Young - If You Should Ever Be Lonely (John Morales M+M Mix)
7. Diana Ross - The Boss (John Morales M+M Mix)
8. Thelma Houston - Saturday Night, Sunday Morning (John Morales M+M Mix)
9. Tata Vega - Get It Up For Love (John Morales M+M CD Mix)
12” vinyl double pack:
Side A: Teena Marie - I Need Your Lovin (M+M Lovin All Night Long Mix)
Side B: Teena Marie - I Need Your Loving (M+M Instrumental Mix)
Side B2: Diana Ross - The Boss (JM Extended Mix) (M+M Instrumental Mix)
Side A: Tata Vega – Get It Up For Love (The Get It Up, Get It Up 12” Mix )
Side B: Tata Vega – Get It Up For Love (M+M Instrumental Mix)
Side B2: Val Young - If You Should Ever Be Lonely (M+M Instrumental Mix)
Catch John Morales in the Boiler Room, London, tomorrow from 19:00.
Click here to enter our competition to win a copy of Club Motown.